Recent Posts

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Living in Stars Hollow

My neighborhood, South Park, is a lot like Stars Hollow of Gilmore Girls fame. Sometimes it is so eerily similar, I expect Taylor Doose to pop out of the Park drive gazebo. We are sadly missing a town troubadour- though we do have a rocking music scene over at our local Luke's, the South Park Tavern. There was even a neighborhood story, about burnt toast, in which South Park was re-christened Stars Hollow. Really. Everyone in the neighborhood wrote a few lines. I'm pretty sure it was incoherent by the third person. I believe there was even mention of midgets? or garden gnomes? I can't quite remember exactly.

South Park is a pretty close knit community- And I wouldn't have it any other way. It's nice to live in a neighborhood where you can find a new friend, a listening ear, a painting Buddy, babysitter, or even an obsessive jamstress. We even have two big churches and several home plant churches.

Like in Stars Hollow, gossip travels fast, by way of Babette and Miss Patty. That's why I wasn't surprised that the sad news about our London trip spread like wildfire. I was a bit mortified, though, when people started to recount the story back to me-I wasn't aware that I was so woefully misinformed about my own life. Our fast move was a bit unconventional, even for South Park. It would probably make Mrs. Kim banish us from her store forever. Fortunately, we don't have a Mrs. Kim- that I know of.

In South Park, there are lots of characters, excitement. There's always something to do or improve. We even have our own Shakespeare troupe. That's what makes South Park special. We certainly have our share of problems- and I don't want to gloss over them. Fortunately, our problems don't involve a truckload of pickles.

1 comments:

Caroline | surprised by joy said...

This is one the best things I've ever heard. I am a little...uh...obsessed with "Gilmore Girls." I always said if I could find a real-life Stars Hollow, I would move there in a heartbeat.

Glad to hear that pickle train conducting is not in your future. :) It would be too stinky, anyway.

Post a Comment